It’s a knockout! The impacts of CRISPR-Cas9 modification of Rubisco – Online course
In this online course you will explore the evidence for CRISPR-Cas9 deletion to eliminate Rubisco in tobacco. You will practice analysing and evaluating data to construct evidence-based arguments for selecting genetically modified plants and for determining the effects of the CRISPR-Cas9 deletion on the plant’s physical and photosynthetic characteristics. In the final stage of the course, you will evaluate data to determine if the catalytic properties of Rubisco from transgenic rice have been altered.
What do you need to know before you begin?
- What is Rubisco?
- What is the polymerase chain reaction (PCR)?
- What is gel electrophoresis?
- What is photosynthesis?
Analyse and evaluate second-hand data to draw evidence-based conclusions about the effects of a CRISPR-Cas9 modification of Rubisco on the physical and biochemical characteristics of plants.
- You can estimate the sizes of DNA fragments on a gel and use the data to determine whether individual plants have experienced a CRSIPR-Cas9 deletion of Rubisco SSU
- You can make quantitative comparisons of physical features to determine the effect of CRSIPR-Cas9-modification on the appearance and growth of plants.
- You can quantitively analyse a graph to determine the effect of CRSIPR-Cas9-modification on the photosynthetic and enzyme activity.
Approximate duration: 45 min
Click the 'Activate this course' button below, then click ‘Experimental outlines and objectives' in the list that appears below to begin..